Looking for things to do in Sorrento & Amalfi Coast and Naples in December?
Here you will find a guide to Festive Events, Christmas Markets, Local Food, Daily tours.
We’ll be adding more details for December in Sorrento when they are available, so keep checking back.
If you have planned your stay in Sorrento and you still have not decided about what to do, here are the 10 reasons why it is worth spending the December holidays in Sorrento Amalfi Coast and Naples, in these magical places.
You will find the complete program of events and some suggestions to better enjoy your holiday.
From Christmas decorations to food, from concerts to daily tours, Sorrento Coast is the ideal destination among the top destinations in Europe to spend your December holidays.
CHRISTMAS LIGHTS AND DECORATIONS
Sorrento in December is decorated in lights and attracts thousands of visitors from all over the world to admire its beauty. Here are some of the most beautiful Christmas Lights not to be missed while staying in Sorrento in December:
- Piazza Tasso – the main square, is the starting point to admire the big Christmas tree in the centre, one of the main attractions.
- Piazza Sant’Antonino – the little square, decorates with lights and statues.
- Old Town – – a jump into the ancient city through traditional shops, enveloping aromas and characteristic alleys.
- Corso Italia – the main shopping street.
- Piazza Angelina Lauro – Christmas shopping, events and Santa Claus Village.
GUIDE TO FESTIVE EVENTS, FOOD, CONCERTS
Christmas in Sorrento is synonymous with tradition, and we in South of Italy know something about it. At the beginning of December there is a cosy and warm atmosphere and the whole town seems to become a small carousel.
From the tree in Piazza Tasso to Christmas lights and decorations all around, from pleasant walks along Corso Italia to the Tombola night in the Old Town. The air is sparkling and lovely and it is impossible to miss the several events that take place along the streets of Sorrento: from the Christmas markets to the fried pizza party arranged by Gigino sotto l’Arco ( a local slang used to indicate that Gigino’s pizzeria is located in a characteristic street underneath a arch), from the Ciuccio di Fuoco (the Donkey on Fire) to the fireworks, from the visit of the nativities in the churches of Sorrento and the live one in the neighbouring town of Casarlano; concerts, Christmas choirs, art exhibitions and the Christmas villages for the little ones.
NATIVITY SCENES ITINERARY
Art lovers, cannot miss the unique experience of the Neapolitan nativity scenes itinerary, one of the most deeply rooted traditions in the Neapolitan culture;it starts from Sedil Dominova to the Basilica of Sant’Antonino, then Chiesa dell’Annunziata ,located in Piazza Andrea Veniero, to Chiesa dei Servi di Maria in Via Sersale.
Do not miss a visit to the private nativity scene of the Cuomo’s Lucky Store and Gambardella delicatessen on Corso Italia, old famous shops in Sorrento that prepare a Neapolitan nativity scene that have now become a regular stop for tradition lovers.
SANTA CLAUS VILLAGES
Families with children will have a lot to do and see. The main attraction for the little ones is the Village, set up in Piazza Sant’Antonino and the Santa Claus village in the Historic Villa Fiorentino: these two are for some years been the meeting point for families and children.
FOOD EVENTS AND STREET FOOD MARKETS
Christmas and food are the perfect combination and Sorrento dedicates several events to this. In addition to Christmas markets and pastry shops that will offer traditional zeppole and sweets, the most anticipated events are:
• Sorrento Street Food Village, dedicated to street food made in Italy, where you can try from the classic Pizza a Portafogli (means Pizza Wallet) to the roast, from fried cooks to local Panini, from meatballs to sfogliatelle and Sicilian cannoli.
• “Santa Lucia”, for the feast of December 13th the embers are collected for the sausage and pork festival, which, together with songs and music, cheers the party in the Santa Lucia district.
• “Tiemp bell e na vot”, the event no one can miss in the Old Town centre at the pizzeria da Gigino: Neapolitan folk music, tons of fried pizzas and gallons of beer to celebrate Christmas Eve together and to toast happiness.
• “Christmas Eve Dinner and Christmas Lunch” will be hosted by numerous restaurants and hotels which menus hardly come out from the traditional schemes; Eve menu is basically based on fish, while the lunch of December 25 is based on meat and vegetables: from tortellini soup, to cannelloni and baked pasta.
• “E ‘asciut pazz o’ padron”, by Pizzeria da Michele.
DECEMBER CONCERTS AND MUSIC EVENTS
From Jazz to Neapolitan popular & folk music, from Christmas choirs to classical music, to bands and to folk groups that bring joy into the streets and squares all around Sorrento.
A varied schedule for concerts in Sorrento, organised for the Christmas holidays, which enriches the artistic and cultural program of the Sorrento Peninsula.
Among the events not to be missed we find the Christmas Concert on December 25th, at the Chiesa dell’Annunziata and the Concert at the end of the year which will be held on Monday, December 31st, at Teatro Tasso.
NYE: DINNER, FIREWORKS AND PARTIES
Toasts, music and entertainment. We start from the morning with a NYE Concert organised at Teatro Tasso followed by toasts and laughs in one of the many bars and brunches open around town. At 6.00 pm everyone gathers at Piazza Tasso for the “ciuccio di fuoco” (Donkey on fire) an old local tradition to say goodbye to the year just passing and to welcome the new one with hope.
It’s time then to get ready for dinner at one of the many restaurants or hotels that arrange dinner-shows and right after the midnight toast, the party starts again in the main Piazza with fireworks, music, dancing and lots of people.
THE LIVING NATIVITY SCENE, A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE
From the end of December to the first weeks of January, the Living Nativity that takes places in the neighbouring town of Casarlano arranged by its parish community, reaches its eleventh edition. A suggestive experience that starts from the olive and lemon groves and continues towards the ancient “Holy Land”, set below the church, where the village is set up with magnificent chestnut structures and walls of tuff and stones, built by masters and passionate artisans. Three hundred people will be dressed in period costumes; a free shuttle service from Sorrento is provided.
DAILY TOUR IN NAPLES AT CHRISTMAS
It is difficult to describe Naples in a sentence itself, let alone at Christmas that an entire book would not be enough. Naples at Christmas is an explosion of feelings: music, vitality, traditions and aromas make it one of the most charming cities in Italy; from San Gregorio Armeno the street of the nativity’s scenes made by the famous Neapolitan artisans, to the Old Town, between Via del Duomo and Spaccanapoli. Click below, for more info, tips, map and suggested Naples tours from Sorrento to explore and experience Naples at the best during the Christmas holidays.
DAILY TOURS TO AMALFI COAST, POMPEI AND CAPRI ON DECEMBER DAYS
During the month of December, the weather in Sorrento begins to be cooler, but considering that the chances of rain decrease compared to November, it is always worth a trip to the wonderful sites that surround the Sorrento Coast.
- The Amalfi Coast, this is a must when visiting Sorrento, with its stunning views, charming villages and breath-taking scenery. Think about taking an Amalfi Coast Tour from Sorrento
- Pompeii tour from Sorrento. The ruins of Pompeii, buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius on August 24, A.D 79.
- The Island of Capri visit Capri from Sorrento if sea and weather conditions allow to visit.